Nếu bạn vẫn đang là học sinh, sinh viên thì chủ đề về Education sẽ cực kì gần gũi và dễ bị “đụng đến” khi thi Speaking IELTS đó. Hôm nay chúng ta cùng học một vài mẫu câu trả lời và từ vựng cho dạng chủ đề này nhé!
Part 1-style questions
Examiner: Are you studying English at a school?
Michel: Yes … I’m taking an intensive course at a local private language school … I attend classes three times a week …
Examiner: Would you say you are a good student?
Susan: I’m OK I think … I’m pretty good at meeting deadlines and I’m keeping up with my studies … plus I find it quite easy to learn things by heart which is useful when learning a language …
Examiner: When you were younger did you enjoy your time at school?
Theo: Yes … I liked school … it was an ordinary state school … nothing special … a single-sex school … which I’m not sure I liked … but the teachers were great … I had lots of friends and I never played truant like some pupils there …
Part 2-style task
Describe a time during your education that you really enjoyed. You should say:
- when this period was
- where you were
- what you were studying at the time
and say why you were so happy.
Caroline: I’d like to tell you about my time at university … I was a mature student … I didn’t go to university until I was 25 … and it was my first time away from my parents so it was very exciting … I was doing a Bachelors Degree and it was a bit of a challenge … some people take a year out but I’d been away from education for 8 years … plus I had to work my way through uni so I was very busy … and sitting exams at the end of each year was a new experience for me as well but I really enjoyed higher education learning about a subject I loved … history … and the social life was great as well … I don’t think I’ve ever had so many friends … I had my graduation ceremony last year in the local cathedral and I know my parents were really proud … so yes … that was a really happy time … I’m thinking of doing a Masters Degree soon … though that might be through distance learning as I have a full-time job now …
Part 3-style questions
Examiner: What qualities do you think a good teacher has?
Anna: They should be patient … they should be subject specialists and be able to explain the subject clearly … they should give feedback quickly … for example not hang on to essay for ages like some of my teachers …
Examiner: What are the advantages of studying on a distance learning course?
Florrie: It’s a more flexible way of studying especially if you have a job … tuition fees are usually cheaper … but you have to be very motivated … and I would imagine more people fall behind with their studies compared to face-to-face classes …
Examiner: Do all children get equal opportunities in education?
Julie: In my country I think it is quite equal but in the UK I’ve heard that most people who go to the top universities have studied at public schools … you have to be very rich to study in a school like that … they’re usually boarding schools as well so the fees are enormous …
- to attend classes: đi học
- bachelors degree: bằng cử nhân
- boarding school: trường nội trú
- distance learning: khoá học online
- face-to-face classes: lớp học truyền thống (học theo dạng offline với giáo viên và bạn học)
- to fall behind with your studies: tiếp thu chậm hơn so với người khác
- to give feedback: đưa ra nhận xét, đánh giá về học viên
- a graduation ceremony: lễ tốt nghiệp
- higher education: học sau phổ thông (đại học, cao đẳng,..)
- an intensive course: lớp học cấp tốc
- to keep up with your studies: cố gắng để không bị tụt lại phía sau
- to learn something by heart: học thuộc long
- a mature student: học sinh lớn tuổi hơn các bạn học, thường là do quay trở lại lớp học sau một thời gian đi làm
- masters degree: bằng thạc sĩ
- to meet a deadline: to finish a job or task in the time allowed or agreed
- to play truant: trốn học
- private language school: trường tư thục
- public schools: trường công lập
- a single-sex school: trường dành riêng cho nam hoặc nữ học
- to sit an exam: làm bài kiểm tra
- state school: trường công lập
- subject specialist: giáo viên chuyên ngành, có kiến thức chuyên sâu về môn học mà người ấy dạy
- to take a year out: nghỉ học một năm để đi làm hoặc du lịch
- tuition fees: học phí
- to work your way through university: vừa học vừa làm để trang trải học phí
Còn rất nhiều kiến thức hữu ích khác tại IBEST, vậy nên nếu đang dự định chinh phục IELTS, bạn đừng bỏ qua các khóa tại IBEST dưới đây nhé
Way to IELTS (đầu ra 5.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/way-to-ielts.html
IELTS Headway (đầu ra 5.5 – 6.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-headway.html
IELTS Success (đầu ra 6.5 – 7.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-success.html
IELTS Mastery (đầu ra 7.0++): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-mastery.html