Topic Business là một chủ đề tương đối “khó nhai” trong IELTS Speaking, nhất là đối với các bạn không học chuyên ngành về kinh tế, đơn giản vì nó có nhiều thuật ngữ (contract, profit, revenue, etc). Hôm nay, chúng ta cùng khám phá chủ đề này nhé! Có rất nhiều từ, cụm từ và cách diễn đạt không quá phức tạp để thí sinh có thể trả lời tốt trong topic tưởng như cực kì khó này.
IELTS Speaking: Part 1-style questions
Examiner: Do you work or are you a student?
Hati: I run my own business actually … I have an online business selling cosmetics … I set up the business 5 years ago and I’m really enjoying working for myself …
Examiner: What is your ideal job?
Kaori: I don’t think I’d enjoy working for a big company … I think I’d like to go it alone and be self-employed … I’m not sure what area of business it would be but I think I’d enjoy the process of drawing up a business plan and seeing if I could be successful …
Examiner: Is your town a nice place to live?
Monique: It’s OK … the main problem we have is our local high street … it used to be a busy centre but lots of shops have gone bust … it must be very difficult to make a profit when you have huge supermarkets in the area and a lot haven’t been able to survive with such cut-throat competition …
IELTS Speaking: Part 2-style task
Describe a business you know that you admire. You should say
- what this business is
- what the business sells
- how long you have known about the business
and say why you like it so much.
Magda: Actually I discovered a business very recently that I like so much I’d like to do something similar in the future … it’s a small niche business that runs courses in how to cook … especially bread … the owner uses his kitchen for the courses and went into business with a local community shop and sells a lot of the bread and cakes they make in the shop … I first got to hear about the business last year … my wife paid for me to do one of the baking courses and I got to know the owner during the training … it’s a lifestyle business really … he doesn’t have plans to take on employees or expand into new areas … he’s happy earning a living doing the thing he loves … I really admire what he does and I’m sure a lot of people would love to do something similar … he has a web presence … in fact that’s how we got to find out about his company … and he uses social media to raise the company profile … but he’s the only person involved inrunning the business so he’s in complete control of where the business goes … that’s something that must make it really satisfying … as long as he’s managing to balance the books and the cash flow is healthy I’m sure he must be very pleased with what he has achieved …
IElTS Speaking: Part 3-style questions
Examiner: Why do some people decide to set up their own business?
Marion: I suppose it’s the idea of being in control of your own destiny … or of believing in a product or service idea you may have … plus it must be very exciting … launching products …winning contracts … and seeing your sales figures improving must be wonderful …
Examiner: What are some of the dangers involved in starting a business?
Hiro: Well … obviously you need to have a good idea … some people say you need to do market research beforehand so you know what the market wants … if you don’t do this you could go under … and if it is a good idea the chances are someone else is doing the same thing so you could end up facing stiff competition …
Examiner: What are some of things you have to do when running your own business that might not appeal to everyone?
Katy: Personally i don’t like being in debt so taking out a business loan wouldn’t suit me at all … and I know a lot of companies do cold calling to try and drum up business … that’s something I’d hate to do … and laying people off if the business gets into trouble … that would be horrible …
- to balance the books: không tiêu vượt mức kiếm được
- to be self-employed: tự làm chủ
- to cold call: cuộc gọi bán hàng không thông báo trước
- cut throat competition: cạnh tranh bằng cách giảm giá xuống mức thấp khiến đối thủ cũng phải giảm, đôi khi ở mức không còn lãi.
- to do market research: nghiên cứu thị trường
- to draw up a business plan: lên kế hoạch kinh doanh
- to drum up business: câu khách
- to earn a living: kiếm sống
- to go bust: buộc phải đóng cửa
- cash flow: dòng tiền
- to go into business with: tham gia kinh doanh cùng
- to go it alone: tự kinh doanh
- to go under: (giống ‘to go bust’)
- to have a web presence: có website để giới thiệu sản phẩm
- to launch a product: giới thiệu sản phẩm
- to lay someone off: cho thôi việc
- lifestyle business: kinh doanh cá thể
- to make a profit: có lợi nhuận
- niche business: kinh doanh trong thị trường ngách
- to raise a company profile: tạo thương hiệu công ty
- to run your own business: tự kinh doanh
- sales figures: báo cáo doanh số
- to set up a business: bắt đầu kinh doanh
- stiff competition: đối thủ mạnh
- to take on employees: thuê nhân viên
- to take out a loan: đi vay tiền
- to win a contract: giành được hợp đồng
- to work for yourself: (giống ‘to be self-employed’)
Còn rất nhiều kiến thức hữu ích khác tại IBEST, vậy nên nếu đang dự định chinh phục IELTS, bạn đừng bỏ qua các khóa tại IBEST dưới đây nhé
Way to IELTS (đầu ra 5.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/way-to-ielts.html
IELTS Headway (đầu ra 5.5 – 6.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-headway.html
IELTS Success (đầu ra 6.5 – 7.0): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-success.html
IELTS Mastery (đầu ra 7.0++): http://ibest.edu.vn/ielts-mastery.html
Xem thêm giáo viên: http://ibest.edu.vn/giao-vien.html
Bài viết liên quan:
Latest posts by Mai LiLo (see all)
- 5.0 VÀ 8.0 KHÁC NHAU NHƯ THẾ NÀO TRONG IELTS WRITING TASK 2? (P1) - 21/04/2016
- CÁCH TÍNH ĐIỂM IELTS WRITING TASK 2 VÀ TIPS - 15/04/2016
- IELTS SPEAKING | Những từ vựng không thể quên khi mô tả về người - 12/04/2016
- Những từ tiếng Anh mang hai nghĩa ngược nhau - 22/01/2016
- Đừng mất điểm vào những từ tưởng chừng “nhắm mắt cũng phát âm đúng được” - 22/01/2016