Trong Writing Task 1, chúng ta sẽ được hỏi những câu hỏi về bản thân, gia đình, bạn bè. Một trong những chủ đề để “ăn điểm” chính là ngoài miêu tả về ngoại hình thì hãy chèn thêm những tính từ miêu tả về tính cách, giúp cho bài nói thêm sinh động và hấp dẫn nhé.
Part 1-style questions
Examiner: How would you describe yourself?
Paula: Everyone tells me I take after my mum as I’m quite laid-back … I think I’m good company but you should ask my friends if they agree …
Examiner: In which ways are you similar to your friends?
Manuel: I seem to be attracted to introverts … not people who are painfully shy but most of my friends are a little reserved … and I think that’s what I’m like …
Examiner: Are you similar or different to your brother(s)/sister(s)?
Mira: I think my brother and I are very similar … I’d say we’re fun-loving and tend to be a bit extroverted … my brother is certainly the life and soul of the party … I’m not sure that applies to me …
Part 2-style task
Describe a teacher you once had who you enjoyed being taught by. You should say
- who this person was
- when they were your teacher
- which subject they taught you
and describe what it was about their character that you liked.
Carolina: I’d like to describe my English teacher from school … Miss Thomas … this was a few years ago now and she was my teacher at a time when I was getting a little bored with being at school … unlike some of the other teachers Miss Thomas never lost her temper … she was very calm and easy-going … she was also very broad-minded … we were able to ask her questions about lots of subjects that some other teachers would refuse to discuss which made us respect her even more … she had a great sense of humour too … she’d laugh at our jokes as well as making us laugh … and she would also bend over backwards to help us with our work … she always put us first and often stayed around at the end of class to talk with anyone who needed help … apparently she was highly respected within her field but you would never know as she was the type that hid her light under a bushel … she was very modest and self-effacing … so yes … Miss Thomas was a teacher I have fond memories of …
Part 3-style questions
Examiner: Which personal qualities do you think we most want to pass on to our children?
Martin: I certainly would want my children to be self-confident and self-assured … I really believe that people who feel good about themselves are in a good position to face what life has to offer them … and I’d hope they wouldn’t be self-centred … but remembered to think about others …
Examiner: Which characteristics do you think are the least appealing in a person?
Marianne: Well … people who are very narrow-minded are difficult to get on with … it’s nice when someone is open to other people’s opinion and willing to think about their own views … and people who are two-faced can be a little irritating … relationships are built on trust and without honesty there’s not much left …
Examiner: Which personality types do you think are less likely to suffer from stress or anxiety?
Sol: Probably people who are thick-skinned … who don’t let people or problems affect them too much … and if you are fair-minded you’ ll be less likely to overreact to situations or be quick-tempered …
- to be the life and soul of the party: một người vui tính và thường là trung tâm của những cuộc vui
- to bend over backwards: cố gắng để giúp đỡ người khác
- broad-minded: cởi mở
- easy-going: thoải mái đầu óc, không suy nghĩ gì cả
- extrovert: người hướng ngoại
- fair-minded: suy nghĩ công bằng
- fun-loving: thích vui chơi, tụ tập
- to hide one’s light under a bushel: giấu tài, giấu nghề
- good company: thoải mái khi chơi cùng
- good sense of humour: vui tính
- introvert: người hướng nội
- laid-back: dễ dãi
- to lose one’s temper: lên cơn nóng tính
- narrow minded: cô lập, khép kín
- painfully shy: rất ngại ngùng
- to put others first: nghĩ cho người khác trước
- quick-tempered: nổi giận
- reserved: xấu hổ
- self-assured: tự tin
- self-centred: chỉ suy nghĩ cho bản thân
- self-confident: tin vào người khác
- self-effacing: giấu giếm tài năng, sống ẩn thân
- to take after: giống ai đó (trong gia đình)
- thick-skinned: không dễ bị ảnh hưởng
- trustworthy: có thể tin tưởng được
- two-faced: hai mặt, nói xấu sau lưng
Còn rất nhiều kiến thức hữu ích khác tại IBEST, vậy nên nếu đang dự định chinh phục IELTS, bạn đừng bỏ qua các khóa tại IBEST dưới đây nhé