“Mô tả về một người nào đó” là chủ đề không còn xa lạ trong IELTS Speaking. Khi nói về người thì việc sử dụng nhuần nhuyễn những collocations, từ vựng chỉ tính cách… là không thể thiếu. Hôm nay IBEST sẽ gửi đến các bạn một số ví dụ cụ thể trong từng phần của bài thi Nói, kèm theo những từ vựng cần ghi nhớ đã được tô đậm và được giải đáp cụ thể ở cuối bài nhé!
Chúc các bạn có một bài học vui vẻ! ^^
Part 1-style questions
- Examiner: How would you describe yourself?
Paula: Everyone tells me I take aftermy mum as I’m quite laid-back … I think I’m a good company but you should ask my friends if they agree …
- Examiner: In which ways are you similar to your friends?
Manuel: I seem to be attracted to introverts… not people who are painfully shy but most of my friends are a little reserved … and I think that’s what I’m like …
- Examiner: Are you similar or different to your brother(s)/sister(s)?
Mira: I think my brother and I are very similar … I’d say we’re fun-lovingand tend to be a bitextroverted … my brother is certainly the life and soul of the party … I’m not sure that applies to me …
Part 2-style task
Describe a teacher you once had who you enjoyed being taught by. You should say
- who this person was
- when they were your teacher
- which subject they taught you
and describe what it was about their character that you liked.
Carolina: I’d like to describe my English teacher from school … Miss Thomas … this was a few years ago now and she was my teacher at a time when I was getting a little bored with being at school … unlike some of the other teachers Miss Thomas never lost her temper … she was very calm and easy-going … she was also very broad-minded … we were able to ask her questions about lots of subjects that some other teachers would refuse to discuss which made us respect her even more … she had a great sense of humour too … she’d laugh at our jokes as well as making us laugh … and she would also bend over backwards to help us with our work … she always put us first and often stayed around at the end of class to talk with anyone who needed help … apparently she was highly respected within her field but you would never know as she was the type that hid her light under a bushel … she was very modest and self-effacing … so yes … Miss Thomas was a teacher I have fond memories of …
Part 3-style questions
- Examiner: Which personal qualities do you think we most want to pass on to our children?
Martin: I certainly would want my children to be self-confidentand self-assured … I really believe that people who feel good about themselves are in a good position to face what life has to offer them … and I’d hope they wouldn’t be self-centred … but remembered to think about others …
- Examiner: Which characteristics do you think are the least appealing in a person?
Marianne: Well … people who are very narrow-mindedare difficult to get on with … it’s nice when someone is open to other people’s opinion and willing to think about their own views … and people who are two-faced can be a little irritating … relationships are built on trust and without honesty there’s not much left …
- Examiner: Which personality types do you think are less likely to suffer from stress or anxiety?
Sol: Probably people who are thick-skinned… who don’t let people or problems affect them too much … and if you are fair-minded you’ ll be less likely to overreact to situations or be quick-tempered …
Những cụm từ/ từ vựng quan trọng cần ghi nhớ:
- to be the life and soul of the party: một người thú vị, thường là tâm điểm của mọi hoạt động
- to bend over backwards: cố gắng rất nhiều để giúp đỡ ai đó
- broad-minded: sẵn sàng chấp nhận những quan điểm hoặc hành vi khác nhau từ những người khác, quảng giao
- easy-going: hòa đồng, dễ chịu, thoải mái, không dễ dàng lo lắng về mọi thứ
- extrovert: người hướng ngoại
- fair-minded: đối xử công bằng với mọi người
- fun-loving: yêu thích những trò vui, vui vẻ
- to hide one’s light under a bushel: giấu di tài năng, sở trường của ai đó
- good company: một người bạn dễ gần, hòa đồng
- good sense of humour: hài hước
- introvert: người hướng nội
- laid-back: giống ‘easy-going’
- to lose one’s temper: tức giận
- narrow minded: đối ngược với ‘broad-minded’
- painfully shy: vô cùng nhút nhát, khép mình
- to put others first: nghĩ cho những người khác trước khi nghĩ cho mình
- quick-tempered: nóng tính
- reserved: nhút nhát, khép mình
- self-assured: tự tin
- self-centred: ích kỷ
- self-confident: tự tin
- self-effacing: tự khiêm tốn
- to take after: giống ai (trong gia đình)
- thick-skinned: không dễ dàng bị ảnh hưởng bởi những lời khiển trách, mặt dày
- trustworthy: đáng tin cậy
- two-faced: hai mặt, không đáng tin cậy
Chúc các bạn luyện thi IELTS hiệu quả!